Shop Talk – May 2013
President Richard Mack called the general meeting of the Whidbey Cruzers to order at 7:00 pm on May 7, 2013 held at the Oak Harbor Elks Lodge. There were approximately 47 in attendance. Previous minutes were corrected on 04/09/13, a typing error by Secretary on Treasurers report. Corrected minutes were approved and as written.
Special Guests - We had three special guests who asked for help and/or told us about their business. SEE “FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER”.
This month brought quite a few dollars. I heard some excuses but it was great to see the honesty!!!!! As you can see in the April treasurer’s report $15.00 was collected. So we are either getting lazy, too busy, or a combination to drive our beautiful cars.
Pat Covello introduced his guests David and Irene Ruiz. They didn’t have a specific car, but they came to see what we were about. Wayne Lock introduced himself. He brought his 1959 Chevy Apache Long bed pickup. It looked really perty nice Wayne. I hoped you joined us. Jim and Julie Palmer came, they have a 1966 GTO. You should talk to Pat Covello who also has a 1965 GTO.
Treasurer’s Report for April 2013 – Virginia Teker
Beginning Balance (4/1/2013) $ 6365.78
Car fines 15.00
Total Intake: 133.00
Duane Dillard Nametags 5.26
Duane Dillard Supplies, printing/mailing 112.05
Postmaster P.O. Box rent, 1yr 60.00
Ed Hammond Jr Web 2011-2013 190.00
Bay Printing April newsletter 29.78
Total Exhaust: 397.09
Ending Balance (04/30/13) $ 6101.69
Contact Virginia via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 360-675-8375 for inquiries, or mail inquires to Whidbey Cruzers, PO Box 1875, Oak Harbor, 98277.
Membership – Duane Dillard
Duane reported that as of this meeting there were 152 paid members. Tonight there were a couple new applications showing on the Boards table for approval. Members wanting additional rosters may purchase them for $5. Just because we have new rosters does not mean the information is totally correct. Call Duane at 360-675-6866 or email email@example.com to correct info that is not correct, or maybe add info, delete info, etc. You might also catch him at the Pizza Factory Friday evenings between 5-7pm.
Sunshine Report for April – Brenda Ackley – Virginia Teker Reporting
Sending the 'Sunshine Report' as I will be in Conconully, WA camping with Bud & my MOM~ she is not too excited about the whole thing @92 or any other age! She is staying in a cabin?? Me too!
At least this way I'll get to go, I was letting him go alone & he was not happy~~Wish us luck it is a long way over the North Cascade Highway, with my mom & a bad back...
4/11 A Sympathy Card was sent to Bob & Bobbi Cairns on the loss of Bob's dear mother, who passed peacefully@ 97 almost 98..
4/20 A Sympathy Card was sent to Flo & Ray Payeur on the loss of Flo's Dad, Our deepest Sympathy to you and your family.
4/21 A Get Well Card was sent to Ron Teker, after his hip replacement surgery OUCH!! Wishing Ron a speedy recovery, it is a very difficult process...Our Best Wishes, Ron for Happy Healing!
4/21 A Thinking of you card was sent to Doreen Gibson, was in the hospital, for testing, well Wishes for you!
Best Wishes for a healthy spring, for all of our Cruzers and their loved ones too!
Brenda Ackley for Sunshine!
Please let Brenda know if you know of someone in need of a little Whidbey Cruzer Sunshine. 360-679-8363. Email Brenda.firstname.lastname@example.org
Car Cruise Committee – STILL NEEDED
Whidbey Cruzers, as of this meeting, still need a Chairperson for this committee. If anyone would like to step up contact any board member. This person does not have to organize a cruise, just be available to answer questions about how to set one up. It can be a short or long cruise. The chairperson should be aware of all cruises scheduled and impromptu, and be able to give a monthly report at each general mtg. or send out an email so members can participate. Chairperson may have as many people to help him as he/she can get. Email should be sent via Social Chair.
Deanna reminded of the two cruises coming up that members can be a part of and they are:
1. 06/20-22, Cool Desert Nights, Richland, WA. Harry Abbott is POC 360-240-8474.
2. 06/27-30, NSRA Meet, Vancouver, WA. Sully Sullivan is POC 360-678-6032 or cell phone 503-572-5792. Deanna mentioned that if no new people sign up, it will not be an organized cruise.
Car Show Committee – Bob Cairns
1. Foothills Toyota Annual Show N Shine, May 11, Burlington, WA. 9am – 3pm. A caravan will leave Flowers at 7:30 am. Registration Fee is Non –perishable food items. POC 360-766-5802
2. Monroe Swap Meet, May 18-19, Evergreen Fairgrounds, Monroe – POC is 1-800-645-4997.
3. Boulevard Park Car Show, May 26, Bellingham - POC 360-647-1832.
4. Cruzin to Colby, May 26-27, Everett, POC is 425-337-9335.
5 Open Class Car Show, June 2, Anacortes Waterfront Festival, POC 360-299-9303.
6. Blast From the Past Car Show, June 2, Sedro Woolley, POC is 360-855-1841
7. Cruizin Chelan Car Show, June 7-8, Lake Chelan, POC 1-800-424-3526.
8. Rakers Car Show, June 22, Port Townsend, POC is 360-385-5473
9. Cool Bayview Nights Show, July 6, Langley – A 55-57 T-Bird is needed for this year’s car show. If you are willing to display your car or want more info contact Brian Grimm at 360-929-3277.
10. Home Depot 2nd Annual Car Show, August 3, Bellingham, POC 360-715-0090
11. Skagit Co. Fair 2nd Annual Car Show and Shine, August 10, POC is Aric Gaither at 360-336-9414/360-708-0394.
If any member knows of a car show please contact Bob at 206-499-2436 cell or email email@example.com.
Social Committee – Deanna Rogers
Deanna reported the May 4 Social at the Car Depot was a success with hot dogs being served and great looking cars being showed off. Fred Benninghoff told us the VFW dinner was great, 19 people went, and needed to be done again. He took a show of hands and a new date was set.
1. VFW Social Dinner, May 16, 6 pm - Meet at 5:30 “near” Precision Tire: Goldie Rd/Alt Field Rd to cruise together to VFW Hall. The meal is $10. RSVP to Deanna at 360-6787727 or email rec’d by 5/14.
2. Coupeville Memorial Day Parade, Saturday May 25, 11Pm – Beautiful cars needed to carry the Pearl Harbor Veterans and dignitaries. Reply soon and you may pick your favorite veteran. Please reply to Deanna by phone or email ASAP for line up details. Only two Cruzers have volunteered, Richard Mack and Bill Waite. Please!
Again contact Deanna at 360-678-7727 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any ideas about a social event or need help planning one.
Tech Adviser – No report
Contact Ron if you have any questions tech or otherwise and he will guide you. If you think of a project the club may be interested in let him know.
Call 360-675-8375 or email@example.com.
Webpage – Need Replacement
Another sad announcement, Ed Hammond Jr. is stepping down as Webmaster and Ed Hammond Sr. is stepping down as webpage chairperson and club photographer as of this meeting.
Historian - Scott Wernecke
Scott talked about the History Book, things that are in it, car pages, every newsletter. June 5, 2001 was the first mtg. held at the Elks Lodge. In January 2001 it was voted the best location for a mtg. A 48 Ford was put into a frame?
1. 2013 Whidbey Cruzer Rendezvous, July 20, Rocky Point – Committee is needed to plan event.
2. Christmas Party - Party coordinator, Virginia Teker told us the party is going to be held at the Oak Harbor Yacht Club (OHYC), December 21. The price will be the same $25. The theme is “Let the Good Times Roll. Jim and Linda Haddon are members and will sponsor us. Mark your calendars now come and enjoy!!!!
1. The Challenged - Jimmy Flowers challenged the Board to create an event that would get 100 Whidbey Cruzer cars to participate or show up. It was discussed a little, but no motion was put forth to do this and no one volunteered to see this happen during the meeting.
Next Meeting – Tuesday, June 4, 2013, Oak Harbor Elks Lodge
Come to our next meeting, find out what’s new and old this year. Join in the fun and sign up for events and committees. You’ll find that event planning is much easier with more people helping. The evening starts off with a potluck at 6 pm, bring a dish to share, plates, utensils, favorite drink, or get a drink from the bar. The general meeting starts at 7 pm. If you have an item(s) you want to add as a door prize, bring it. We sell tickets for door prizes and a 50/50 money pot. SEE YOU THERE!!!!
FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER
1. Fundraiser, Chris Cooper family, Coopers Troopers Car Show, June 8, 10 am – 2 pm – All makes and models welcome. There is a $20 donation/registration fee to enter your ride and prizes to all classes. It will be held at Pioneer Auto (old Chevy dealer). Contact Kory Dyer to register or volunteer to help out at 360-720-4407.
2. Bill Thiel, OHHS NJROTC – He came and told us about the program of 184 students enrolled. He requested the Cruzers help to paint (probono) a 6’ x 12’ trailer with the NJROTC Wildcat logo. The membership offered businesses to do the job. No one offered there services at that time. If anyone would like to help this cause contact Bill Thiel 360-2795840 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The high school came to us for help because previously (years ago) we did a sport van for them. Top Notch was suggested due to the owner being Jeremy Souza, a graduate of OHHS and he is a painter.
3. Skookum Solutions, Inc., Terry Hicks, Upholsterer - Terry was introduced and had brought pictures of his talent with various fabrics. If anyone is in need of his services contact him at 360-202-8695. His business is on Frostad Rd.
Door Prizes and 50/50 Drawing – Bucket Dude: Bob McConchie
Last Month’s winner was Bill Morrow, he didn’t show so Bob filled in and sold tickets.
Door prizes included: 6 garage signs, 2 sets of fuzzy dice, ceramic bear in leather, and a red mystery box?
Winners: Jim Haddon, Stan Grovdahl, Marge Baxley, Jim Croft, Bruce Biddle, Richard Mack, Bob McConchie, Jim Smith Rudy Parhaniemi and Forrie McIntosh
Thank you Dick Shanniak for once again providing the great door prizes.
50/50 drawing, $65.00, Winner was Duane Dillard! Congratulations! Duane should appear early next meeting to be “Bucket Dude” and sell tickets in June.
EVENTS CALENDAR AT A GLANCE – Mark Your Calendars
Date Event Location POC_____
05/18-19 Monroe Swap Meet Evergreen Fairgrounds 1-800-645-4997
05/25 Memorial Day Parade Coupeville 360-678-7727
05/26 Boulevard Park Car Show Bellingham 360-647-1832
05/26/27 Cruzin to Colby Everett 425-337-9335
06/02 Open Class Car Show Anacortes, R Ave. 360-299-9303
06/02 Blast from the Past Car Show Sedro Woolley 360-855-1841
06/07-08 Cruizin Chelan Car Show Lake Chelan 1-800-424-3526
06/20-22 Cool Desert Nights Richland, WA 360-240-8474
06/22 Rakers Car Show Port Townsend 360-385-5473
06/27-30 NSRA Meet Vancouver, WA 360-678-6032
07/06 Bayview Cool Nights Car Show Langley, WA 360-929-3277
07/20 WC Rendezvous Rocky Point 360-240-0843
08/03 Home Depot Car Show Bellingham 360-715-0090
08/10 Skagit Co. Fair Car Show Mt. Vernon 360-336-9414
12/21 WC Christmas Party OHYC Seaplane Base 360-675-8375
******REMEMBER – EVERY FRIDAY EVENING THE WHIDBEY CRUZERS AND THEIR FRIENDS HAVE A SOCIAL GATHERING TO GOSSIP, FIND OUT WHAT’S HAPPENING AND TALK CARS!!!!! DON’T MISS OUT, COME, ENJOY, AND ADD YOUR COMMENTS AND OPINIONS AND SHOW OFF YOUR VEHICLE(S). 5:00 – 7:00 PM AT THE PIZZA FACTORY.
1. For Sale: 1974 Plymouth Duster. 360 Engine, very tight, low miles, auto-trans, dual exhaust, new paint, metallic blue-green, lacquer, front seat reupholstered, slotted mag wheels, no frame or body damage. 75% restored.
BEST OFFER. Cell phone 360-982-7967 or message Frank at 360-675-2388.
2. For Sale: 1939 Ford 2 Dr Sedan. Has an all metal body with a 350/350 combo engine. Paint is about 6-7. Interior is unfinished but has bucket seats and the dash and window frames have been recently painted to match exterior. An aftermarket heater and defroster was just installed. No Air.
1. Mustang 2 front end w/power steering and discs on front/drums on the rear.
2. Aftermarket windshield wiper pkg. and power lift for trunk. Not installed.
3. Big and Littles, Baby Moons and old but good rubber.
Call or email Larry for more info and to view. 360-293-1031 or Idmitch@comcast.net $12,900
3. For Sale: 1957 Seeburg Jukebox. Hi Fi Selectomatic, Extra records, records are 50’s and 60’s. 45 RPM’s. Please contact Don (Toby) Tabach if interested at 360-678-5952 or 360-929-7436.
If anyone has something for sale, a wanted item, either for you or a friend give Joan Reeves a call at 360-679-7936 or email me at email@example.com.
***These ads will run for only two months in the newsletter. If they are sold before that period ends please contact Joan Reeves at 360-679-7936 or email her to delete from newsletter.
The following list of birthdays may or may not be complete, if I have left out someone or you do not want to be listed please notify me, Joan Reeves, at 360-679-7936.
Virginia Teker 4
Harry Gibson 8
Lloyd Williams 9
Mary Mahoney 9
Kirk Sherman 10
Don Barnum 18
Chuck Jaeger 20
Deanna Rogers 21
Tim Colantoni 25
Chuck Stone 28
Bob Brooks 29
Jim Rairigh 30 “I hope everyone has a Happy Birthday”. Joan
FROM YOUR SECRETARY
My goal for this year is the same, to provide as much correct informative information to you in this newsletter as I possibly can. If you have any ideas of what you might like to see in the newsletter let me know. 360-679-7936 Thanks again.
THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH
It is a guy thing. Right since birth, boys develop a “car fetish”. Through adulthood, boys continue to obsess about cars. They cannot stop talking about the features, shape, accessories and safety mechanisms. Soon the four-wheel machine becomes a passion. What is it that makes guys swoon over these expensive contraptions? Check out a few of the following sayings:
1. H.G. Wells – Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
2. Albert Einstein – Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
3. Bill Vaughan – A real patriot is the fellow who gets a parking ticket and rejoices that the system works.
FROM YOUR PRESIDENT
I request that all club members review the Whidbey Cruzers Bylaws. Meetings are conducted under the Roberts Rules for Order, this helps us ensure EVERY member of the club has a say in what’s going on. If you have been thinking about something, a suggestion, a complaint, or change in the bylaws, etc. you would like to see addressed by the BOD or the club in general, just raise your hand during our meeting to be recognized and make your statement or request. It does not have to be worded perfectly. We, the BOD, will address it at our next monthly meeting. It will be made into a “Proposal” and presented to the general membership, at which point it can be voted upon by the members. Every member of the club should support this process because every member has the right to be heard and you may be the one making the proposal.